Saturday

Ghost Hunters in Witches Wood - Shocker!

Samantha Blake
I’ve heard Mum and Dad talk about some kind of festival thing with Nan and Grandad. I thought I heard them say “ghost hunters”, although then I heard them talk about a music festival. That might be cool. Think it’s on later in the summer.

Mum and Dad aren’t pleased.  Don’t know why. Maybe they think James and I will want to go? It is sort of right on our doorstep. You probably don’t know this, but my grandparents’ farm is right on the edge of a really big wood. And don’t tell me to shut up, but it’s called Witches’ Wood, although it’s more like a forest. It’s got a reputation for being haunted!

People say they’ve seen ghosts there. Nan would never let us go into the wood when we were younger.

Dad nearly freaked when he heard about the ghost hunters. I was with him at the shops in the local village and we overheard Mrs Meredith talking about it. Mrs M is the local gossip.

Dad is never really comfortable when he comes back home to Suffolk. He never tells us anything, but I think it’s because Dad’s sister, my Aunty Katie, died when she was 16. She had run away from home and was found drowned in the wood. It all happened years ago.

I don’t really know the full story, but it was all really horrible because the people of the village used to say Aunty Katie was a Witch, or something. Reputations like that tend to stick, particularly in a small village. I don’t know why they would say it. Dad never talks about it.

Might try and find out though. Mrs Meredith will know.

No comments:

Post a Comment